Mar 26, 2014

Point No Point




A birthday surprise took me to the shores of the Straight of Juan de Fuca, to a small rustic cabin perched high on a rugged cliff at the edge of the world, with a seascape that stretched west to Japan and south to the shores of Washington State.

Why did they name this place Point No Point lodge? What was the point? For me, it was a celebration of a life. I had now reached the tender age of an official old man; semi-retirement, pension, free flu shots, a better price on the bus and theatre tickets, and many more perks of maturity.


So, my point for being there was for contemplation. Where had I been? Where was I going? Here, I was looking out at the end of land like the end of life staring back at me. Was I approaching cliff's end? Was the world?  Point No Point had a point for me: the balance of life itself.

The excursion was very much in the Now. We traveled west along a beautiful, tree-lined country road with lush green foliage that pointed us toward our hide-away along the cliff tops. This day it supplied its own drama; torrential rain, sleet, hail and high winds. And the logs of the tiny cabin rattled and the windows beat with spewing water. It almost seemed as if the cabin was going to be lifted off its perch, like Dorothy's home in the Wizard of Oz, far away, or, down to the black rock beach below where larger than normal breakers rushed and smashed at the base of the cliff, shuddering us. Outside the weather was wild, but inside we lounged. With a cozy fireplace to keep us warm, we added a log or two, painted pictures and read mystery novels.

Obviously, my life continued on those first days of a new age, enjoying the company of my wonderful wife and savouring the delicacies of fine cuisine at the lodge restaurant.

So why contemplate, as long as we were healthy and making meaning in life? We even managed to skip a few rain drops to dunk in the hot tub that was primed and ready to warm our bones.

Unfortunately, as with the rest of life, the days flew by too soon, and we were off on our journey home with a great many more future moments to contemplate in the months and years ahead.


QUOTES
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."
- Robert Frost

"Come live with me and be my love, And we will all the pleasures prove, That valleys, groves, hills, and fields, Woods, or steepy mountain yields."
- Christopher Marlowe

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
- John Muir

"There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age."
- Sophia Loren

Point no Point Lodge
http://pointnopointresort.com/
Our Cabin #14
http://pointnopointresort.com/room/cabin-14-cozy-cabin/